F-27&28, Kirti Nagar, New Delhi-110015
Phone: (Delhi) 011-2593 6132, 9250810522 Email:
Phone: (Haridwar) 01334-227 221 Email:
  History of Derawal Bhawan  
It was in the early winter of 1954 when Shri Megh Raj Khera father of our Patron Shri Ravi Khera proposed to late Shri Ram Nath Sachdeva, the founder President of the Sabha that let us see a new colony named Kirti Nagar for settling down. Accordingly, the first trip was made to the area on bicycles by them accompanied by Mehta brothers late Master Hira Nand and late Shri Parma Nand. It was a long journey from Panchkunian Road to Pusa Road with ws then uneven and bumpy. After crossing the Railway Crossing over which a fly over has since been built, they reached Najafgarh Road. Kirti Nagar was all agricultural land. There was a well and the water on being tasted was found to be sweet. The place was liked and the selling Agency was located. Applications were got filled from al who then came into contact. Refugees Rehabilitation Corporation was the sole selling Agency for this land. Every day, dozens of application forms were submitted, first instalment paid and provisional allotments made. Later on, it transpired that one Agent was getting a lot of Commission on the plots being sold. He was approached for claiming a share of Commission of plots sld to Derawals. Late Mehta brothers, Shri M. R. Khera, Shri Mohan Lal Mehra and Late Shri R. N. Sachdeva & Sohan Lal Huria want to see him in Daryaganj. He was Master Charan Das an elderly person and kind-hearted. Seeing their enthusiasm, he gave them a cheque for a few hundred rupees as refund. It was then decided spontaneously to get a plot like a club or a community Centre. The Secretary of the Rehabilitation Corporation readily agreed to give a plot provided a Sabha/Society or an Organisation made an application. On the spur of the moment a Society named Derawal Welfare Association was formed and the letter heads and forms printed at the Ajmeri Gate Press of Late Shri Narain Das Bhutani. Accordingly, the first instalment for the plot on which now santands Derawal Bhawan, made from the Commission received and contributions collected. Al payments were subsequently made and the allotment of the plot was confirmed by the end of the year 1957. Late Shri Bhagwan Das Mehta, Brishan Das Mehta, Amar Nath Mehta, Tirath Das Mehta, Ghanshyam Das Toteja & Shri Radhey Sham Lal became ardent supporters and got closely associated with the project.
Regular meetings of the association were held and funds soon started pouring in. Late Shri Hukam Chand Bhutani and Pamm Bhutani also joined hands and soon thereafter Buy laws were framed, a regular Committee ws formed in 1955 and the Society registered as the Derawal Sahayak Sabha. Thus the foundatin of the present organisation which subsequently got its name changed as All India Derawal Sahayak Sabha (Regd.), was laid and super-structure the Bhawan as it ow stands, visualized in a quiet and unassuming manner without any public pronouncement.
Early settlers, who built their houses in Kiriti Nagar were Shri S. D. Sachdeva, R. S. Lal, M. R.Khera, Late Shri J. N. Nagpal, Sohan Lal Huria, T. D. Mehta and few others. A truck of brics was donated to the newly formed Sabha with which the boundary wall was put up on the Plot in 1958. Sabha stood on a firm foundations due to zeal, eagerness & enthusiam of the team of workers without any one trying to become the leader. All formed a cohesive, well-knit and a coordinated team under the leadership of Late Shri R. N. Sachdeva to complete the leagal formalities who was chosen as its first founder President Shri M. R. Khera who had all along been one of the close associates became the first honorary Secretary during those difficult formative years. It was a happy team of workers, practical in approach & sincere in effort, each one spending form his own pocket, without any grudge or publicity.
The Sabha made its first public debut in December, 1960 when the foundation stone of the present building was laid by Late Shri Kukam Chand Bhutani who was then chosen as our Cheif Patron. The following year, the building was completed under the personal supervisio of Late Shri Ram Chand Ji Khurana and formally inaugurated in 1961. So encouraging was the response of the Derawal Community, it was declared amidst applause that similar functions would be held every year. The welcome arches, buntings enroute, smiling faces of men, gaily dressed women children and flower bedecked stage. Present of function together with the Guest of Honor adorned the stage for a profuse garlanding ceremony. Garam Moongs were there to make the function spicy. Many an eye was full of tears of Joy on meeting some of the old and separated friends since the days of partition. A culcural programme for about a couple of hours and langar at the end culminaated the day of the Annual Mela which is now called as Derawal Day.